Carpe Vinum Workout Report

Carpe Vinum breezed five furlongs in 1:04.20 this morning while working in company over the training track. Similar to last week, our mare set the pace in the work along the inside and finished up with plenty left, galloping out nicely.

As the mare exited the track under jockey Abel Cedillo, he told our West Coast Racing Manager, Joe Moran, “Really good. She is going to run huge next time.”

We will target the Grade 3 Santa Barbara (nominations above) on May 14th as trainer Phil D’Amato is expecting a short field and continues to report our mare couldn’t be doing any better.

Carpe Vinum Workout Report

Carpe Vinum breezed five-furlongs on the Santa Anita training track yesterday morning in 1:03.40 while breezing in a team of three D’Amato horses. Carpe Vinum was the pace setter of the work under jockey Abel Cedillo (red cap). Despite being headed prior to the wire, Carpe Vinum was under no real pressure and re-rallied on the gallop out nicely.

Carpe Vinum will be nominated on Thursday for the Grade III Santa Barbara Stakes at Santa Anita on May 14th. Once nominations are released we will determine whether we point to this race or wait for the allowance option.

View the work here.

Wednesday Live Chat

MRH Partners,

Join us this Wednesday May 4th at 5:00 PM PST as our team chats with you about your horses stabled on the West Coast racing circuit. Over the coming weeks we’ll go circuit by circuit where our team will discuss 3 Hot Topics and then open the floor for questions, discussions, and debate.

Wednesday’s Hot Topics:

Forbidden Kingdom: Check In and Update
Above Suspicion: The Path Ahead
Hero Status: Look back and next target

This interactive chat allows MyRacehorse partners to ask our team questions directly.┬áTo submit your questions and attend the chat, please click this link here. The password is “WestCoast”.

Carpe Vinum Will Scratch

Carpe Vinum will scratch from today’s Wilshire Stakes. After discussing this morning, we mutually agreed with only one scratch at the moment, it would be best to wait for one of the races upcoming in May.

From the homework D’Amato has done, the next stake, the Grade III Santa Barbara on May 14th supposedly only has four horses targeting the race and it’s at a more preferred distance, 1 1/2 mile. After that, we also have the 2x allowance race on May 21st.

While D’Amato does still feel the mare is doing great and would run a solid race, it came down to tactically putting her in the best position to be successful. “Originally I thought this race today was going to have less horses but when the expected favorite (MRH Stablemate Going to Vegas) didn’t enter, everyone else had the same idea,” said Phil.

Carpe Vinum will now likely breeze tomorrow morning.

Carpe Vinum Race Update

After speaking with trainer Phil D’Amato and reviewing the Grade 3 Wilshire Stakes field, he is inclined to run Carpe Vinum in tomorrow’s race at Santa Anita. From a Ragozin and Thoro-Graph speed figure perspective, Carpe Vinum is very competitive in this field, but she would have to run a career best to be on the winning end of things. On Thoro-Graph, she has been very consistent, running 7s in four of her last six efforts, and has a 44% chance to match this career-best figure. On Ragozin, the mare ran a career top last time, earning a 10 or 10 1/2. While D’Amato believes she couldn’t be doing much better both physically and mentally, there is a natural fear of a regression number-wise, given the two-week turnaround in between starts and following a career-top number.

D’Amato would like to wait until tomorrow morning to make a final decision, allowing him to assess any scratches that may come, but as of this afternoon, Carpe Vinum is on schedule to run in tomorrow’s Wilshire Stakes. If there are any changes to this plan in the morning, we will follow up with an additional update.

Race Day Information

Here are the race day financials for Carpe Vinum’s race at Santa Anita on Sunday. The Wilshire Stakes (Race 9) is scheduled for a post time of 5:13 PM PST. Purse is $100,000. MRH owns 60 percent of Carpe Vinum with Joey Platts owning 40 percent. Nomination, Entry, and Starter fees total $960 for MRH’s ownership percentage.

Carpe Vinum Race Entry

Carpe Vinum has been entered in the Grade 3 Wilshire Stakes, a one-mile turf event for fillies and mares three years old and upward on Sunday, May 1st, at Santa Anita Park.

Carpe Vinum drew Post 8 in the eleven-horse field for Race 9, which has a 5:00 p.m. PT post time. The race received one additional late entry following our previous update. Ramon Vazquez will be in the irons.

Our team will be taking a deeper look into the race and will discuss with trainer Phil D’Amato and partner, Joey Platts to make a final decision if we will indeed proceed with running.

We will follow up as soon as any official decision is made.

Carpe Vinum Race Update

Carpe Vinum has been entered in Sunday’s Grade 3 Wilshire Stakes. Trainer Phil D’Amato, who we reported two days ago as wanting to keep this stakes an option if there was a realistic chance of her earning a graded-stakes placing, has been really happy with how Carpe Vinum has trained and maintained her weight and believes she will be able to handle the quick turnaround in races well, based on her appearance.

D’Amato feels the Wilshire will be comparable to a 2x allowance and with a total of 10 horses entered, it could jeopardize the allowance race on May 21st from filling. Once final entries do come out for the Wilshire later today, we will assess the field, and if we feel it is best to wait for another race, we always have the option of scratching out of this stakes. We have a call from Ramon Vasquez to ride.

Carpe Vinum Workout Report

Carpe Vinum had her first work back yesterday morning, covering four furlongs in 49 seconds over the Santa Anita training track. Jockey Diego Herrera was aboard for this solo maintenance breeze. The 5-year-old mare has remained in solid physical order and has kept good energy since her second-place finish.

Carpe Vinum was nominated to the Grade 3 Wilshire Stakes this upcoming Sunday but we will most likely bypass that option for either the next 2x allowance race or the Grade 3 Santa Barbara Stakes (May 14th). Trainer Phil D’Amato wanted to keep the Wilshire open as an option if he felt there was a realistic chance to earn her a graded stakes placing. Once the next Santa Anita condition book is released, we will know specifics for the allowance option.

We will follow up with an additional update once any race plans are finalized.