Update and Race Possibility

Lane Way has been steadily galloping at Santa Anita and is in great order. He was originally scheduled to work this past weekend but an audible was called due to a possible race option. With the current uncertainty of immediate racing at Santa Anita, we discussed our other options with Team Mandella this morning.

There is a maiden special weight on April 5th at Golden Gate which we will look to enter. There is both a maiden special weight for straight 3 year old racing going 5 1/2 furlongs on the all weather and a 3 year olds and upward going 6 furlongs on the all weather.   With the lack of options these races must be considered.  It’s likely only one of the two races will go. Entries will be taken on Thursday, April 2nd.  We will keep you updated.

Workout Report

Squared Straight worked a solo half mile this morning in 50.40 seconds at San Luis Rey. With no jockey’s allowed on the backside, his normal exercise rider Fernan was aboard. All reports came back great and the barn is very happy with Squared Straight’s mentality since being gelded. He seems to be more focused in his daily training and should only continue to get better.

With the current situation of Santa Anita not racing, Team O’Neill will be keeping their eye on the Golden Gate race possibilities. Turf racing is scheduled to resume at Golden Gate on April 10th which will give us both turf or all weather options.

Workout and Update

Amandrea worked five furlongs in another steady 1:02.2 the other morning at Sam Houston. Trainer Steve Asmussen is keeping Amandrea fit as we await some resolution of the uncertainty behind which tracks will be running in the upcoming weeks and if there is a spot where Amandrea can run in. Unfortunately it’s the situation many in the industry are dealing with today and let’s hope there’s light at the end of the tunnel for many of our runners.


We spoke to trainer John Sadler this weekend, Annahilate is doing well and currently galloping. He is still working on getting his fitness and body where it needs to be to begin breezes, but is getting closer. The recent rain definitely slowed down Annahilate’s schedule, mainly due to the inconsistency. John will keep us updated when he is ready to breeze.

We are hoping to receive updated photos of Annahilate from the barn in the coming days.

Headed Back to California

Tizamagician is headed back home along with other local horses that competed or shipped out for Dubai World Cup Carnival.  Here are some photos taken of the loading process.  For those that have never seen how horses are loaded onto a plane,  the horses are loaded directly from the van into plane (see second picture).  Thanks to the O’Neill Team for sharing the photos.

You can track his remaining flight here: Flight Tracker.  They first took off at 9:58 am PST from New York and landed in Oklahoma City at 1:19 pm PST.  They took off from again OKC at approx. 2:30 pm PST and are expected to land in San Bernardino at 5:08 pm PST.